This curriculum meets or exceeds all the requirements for the certification training of 911 Telecommunicators set forth by the State of Florida Department of Health in response to State Statute 401.465. The Florida Public Safety Institute received certification by the State of Florida Department of Health on February 8th, 2012. (Site Code #89)
Effective October 2012, all 911 Telecommunicators working within the State of Florida must be certified and must continue certification every two years. To receive certification, the person must take an approved course, at an approved location for a minimum of 232 hours, and then pass the state certification test.
Department of Health/Public Safety Telecommunicator Website
Our academy is a 232 hour, six-week course covering the following topics:
- Professional Ethics and the Role of Telecommunicator
- Guidelines and Operational Standards of Call Classification and Prioritization
- Communication Equipment and Resources
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Operational Skills
- Fire Department Role and Responses. Hazardous Materials Awareness
- Emergency Medical Services Role and Responses
- Law Enforcement Role and Responses
- Stress Management Techniques
- Duties and Responsibilities of a Public Safety Telecommunicator
- Emergency Management Practices
The course is taught by highly qualified trainers with experience in the area of instruction. Most either are currently working in the 911 field, are certified law enforcement officers, or have worked in the 911 field in the past. Lab time at area communication centers may be scheduled as a part of the learning experience.
Quizzes and exams will be given throughout the course to ensure learning and to prepare the student for the state exam.
Successful completion of this course will:
- Prepare and qualify the participant to sit for the State of Florida Certification Test for Public Safety Telecommunicators (911 PST)
- Provide a strong foundation on which to build their Public Safety career
- Prepare the participant for the difficult nature of their chosen career
For more information, contact us at (850) 201-7081 or e-mail email@example.com.