TrainingCriminal Justice Selection Center
The Criminal Justice Selection Center conducts equivalency evaluations through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for individuals interested in re-certifying in Florida as well as for those individuals who were employed as an out-of-state, federal officer or military police officer.
Required Documents for Application
The following documents are needed for the application process through the Criminal Justice Selection Center:
- Selection Center Procedures
- Selection Center Application
- FDLE Authority for Release of Information (Form 58)
- Equivalency of Training (EOT) FAQs
Equivalency of Training (EOT) Process
The Equivalency of Training (EOT) process is for Out-of-State Federal Officers and previously certified Florida officers with a four year or more break-in-service pursuant to section 943.131(2), Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) 11B-35.009(4)(5).
The EOT allows an officer to be exempt from having to complete the full basic recruit academy.
You may be eligible for an exemption from the full basic training requirements if you were an officer in another state or with the federal government and meet the following requirements:
- You worked at least one year, full-time as a sworn officer in the discipline you are seeking exemption;
- You received training in that discipline which is comparable to Florida's full basic recruit curriculum and/or;
- You were previously certified in Florida.
There can be no more than an 8 year break in employment as an officer. The break in employment is measured from the separation date of the most recent qualifying employment to the time a complete application requesting an exemption from training is submitted to a Criminal Justice Selection Center or criminal justice employing agency.
Once you are approved for an equivalency of training, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in the high liability areas and pass the state certification exam in the same discipline within 1 year of receipt of the approved Equivalency of Training CJSTC Form 76.
If you do not complete the training and pass the State Officer Certification Examination within the 1 year time limit, you may apply for another exemption from training, but you must be eligible pursuant to Chapter 943.131(2), F.S. at the time of application.
By law, criminal justice employing agencies or selection centers are responsible for reviewing out-of-state or federal officer's employment and training to initially determine eligibility for exemption. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement does not determine a person's eligibility.
Upon collection, verification and authentication of documentation which establishes that you meet the training and experience requirements, a criminal justice employing agency or an assessment center must submit a completed Equivalency of Training CJSTC Form 76 to the FDLE for approval. (The applicant does not complete the CJSTC-76 form)
Documentation of one year's experience as an out-of-state or federal officer may consist of authentic copies of one or more of the following:
- Payroll records
- Employment records
- Verification of employment letters/affidavits
Documentation of prior training may consist of authentic copies of one or more of the following:
- Training records from prior employers
- Training records from academies
- Curricula summaries
- Certificates of completion
- Verification of training /letters affidavits
Once the request is processed, if approved for the exemption from training, you should enroll in the appropriate pre-exam training at a Commission-certified training center in order to demonstrate proficiency in the high liability areas and then take and pass the state certification exam.
Steps For an Out-of-State, Federal or Previously Sworn Florida Officer To Become Certified in Florida
- Contact a Criminal Justice Selection Center or criminal justice employing agency and complete their application process to determine eligibility to be exempt from completing a basic recruit training course.
- Once you are approved and receive your Equivalency of Training CJSTC Form 76 from the selection center or agency, contact a Commission-certified Criminal Justice Training Center to enroll in the training course to complete your demonstration of proficiency in the high-liability skills areas. The training center personnel will issue you a voucher to allow you to take the State Officer Certification Examination.
- Register to take the State Officer Certification Examination. The date you take the examination must be after the completion date of your training class. You may have up to three attempts to pass the examination provided all attempts are within the one year time limit. If you are unable to complete the requirements within the one year time limit, you may apply for an additional exemption from training, however, you may only have three attempts to successfully complete the examination regardless of how many exemptions from training you are granted. After three attempts, you would have to complete a full basic recruit training academy.
- Obtain employment in a sworn position with a criminal justice agency who will conduct your background investigation and complete the process for certification. Contact the criminal justice agency of your choice for specific information concerning job vacancies.