Medical Coding and Billing Specialist Certificate
Overview / Requirements
To prepare students for employment in a variety of healthcare settings as entry-level coders, medical record coders, coding technicians, coding clerks or medical coder/billers.
Coursework in this program articulates into the Health Information Technology, A.S. (2159) degree program.
37 credit hours
- Admission requirements are the same as those for admission to the College: standard high school diploma or GED diploma. Most program courses require students to be college-ready, which means the student must have appropriate placement scores, complete any needed developmental education or meet the requirements for a documented exemption.
- Satisfactory completion of program course prerequisites
View Information about Graduation Requirements and Year of Entry .
- BSC2085 Anatomy and Physiology I 3 credit hour(s) *
- BSC2085L Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory 1 credit hour(s) *
- HIM1000 Introduction to Health Information and Informatics Management 3 credit hour(s) *
- HSC2531 Medical Terminology 3 credit hour(s) *
- BSC2086 Anatomy and Physiology II 3 credit hour(s)
- BSC2086L Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory 1 credit hour(s)
- HIM2112C Health Information Technology 2 credit hour(s)
- HIM2012 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Healthcare 3 credit hour(s)
- HIM2222C ICD Coding System 3 credit hour(s)
- HIM2235C Advanced Coding 2 credit hour(s)
- HIM2253C CPT Coding System 3 credit hour(s)
- HIM2272 Reimbursement Methodology 3 credit hour(s)
- HIM2433 Pathophysiology 4 credit hour(s)
- HIM2442 Pharmacology for Health Professions 2 credit hour(s)
- HIM2935 MCB Practicum and Exam Review 1 credit hour(s)