Surgical Technology Specialist Certificate
TCC's Surgical Technology Specialist Certificate program prepares students to become a certified surgical technologists (CSTs) that works under the supervision of a surgeon to facilitate safe and effective surgical care for patients. Upon successful program accreditation, graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification exam administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
This is a limited-access and limited enrollment program. See all Healthcare Program requirements.
For more information about this program, click here.
Overview / Requirements
To prepare students to become certified surgical technologists (CSTs). Surgical technologists are part of the team of medical practitioners providing surgical care to patients. Surgical technologists work under the supervision of a surgeon to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly and that the procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical technologists possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique, which they combine with knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and instruments and technologies to facilitate a physician’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
Upon successful program accreditation, graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification exam administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
49 credit hours
Applicant must have earned a standard high school diploma or GED diploma.
Applicant must be college-ready, which means the applicant does not need developmental education courses in English, reading and/or mathematics. This requirement may be satisfied by one or more of the following options:
- The Florida Statute on Developmental Education exemption
- Adequate placement scores from the Florida Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) or other college placement scores accepted by TCC
- Completion of developmental education courses
- Completion of at least ENC1101 College Composition and a Mathematics State Core course
Prior to submitting the application for admission, students must complete (specified portions of) the Health Education Systems, Inc. Admission Assessment (HESI A2), specifically, Reading, Grammar, Vocabulary.
The Amy Lynette Bailey Surgical Technology program accepts students for each Fall and Spring semester. This is a limited-access program with a limited number of seats per class.
Applicants must submit a TCC admission application (www.tcc.fl.edu/apply ) and a separate healthcare program application . Applicants may access the healthcare program application through their TCC Passport account.
See Additional Healthcare Program Requirements for important information.
Healthcare Professions, Ghazvini Center for Healthcare Education
(850) 558-4500 or email@example.com
View Information about Graduation Requirements and Year of Entry .
Note: Students who wish to earn an A.S. degree in this field may complete the general education requirements listed for Health Science, A.S. (2161) either before or after they take the required surgical technology courses.
- BSC1084C Human Biology: Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology 4 credit hour(s)
- HSC1538 Medical Terminology for Healthcare Professionals 1 credit hour(s)
- HSC1000 Orientation to Perioperative Services 3 credit hour(s)
- HSC1000L Orientation to Perioperative Services Lab 1 credit hour(s)
- HSC2520 Microbiology for Perioperative Services 3 credit hour(s)
- STS1302 Introduction to Surgical Technology 4 credit hour(s)
- STS1302L Introduction to Surgical Technology Lab and Clinical 2 credit hour(s)
- STS1310 Surgical Techniques and Procedures 4 credit hour(s)
- STS1310L Surgical Techniques and Procedures Lab and Clinical 2 credit hour(s)
- STS1340 Pharmacology and Anesthesia 2 credit hour(s)
- STS2323 Surgical Procedures I 4 credit hour(s)
- STS2323L Surgical Procedures I Simulation Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- STS2324 Surgical Procedures II 4 credit hour(s)
- STS2324L Surgical Procedures II Simulation Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- STS2361 The Art of Teamwork in Surgery 1 credit hour(s)
- STS2365 Professional Skills for the O. R. Team 1 credit hour(s)
- STS2944 Surgical Technologist Clinical I 3 credit hour(s)
- STS2945 Surgical Technologist Clinical II 3 credit hour(s)
- STS2953 Surgical Technologist Portfolio I 1 credit hour(s)
- STS2954 Surgical Technologist Portfolio II 2 credit hour(s)